SPIE, sharing a vision for the future
The Global Compact, greater respect for sustainable development
In 2003, SPIE pledged to support the United Nations Global Compact, which asks companies to embrace, support and enact, within their sphere of influence, a set of core values in the areas of human rights, labour standards, the environment and anti-corruption. The principles in each of these categories are as follows:
- Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights, within their sphere of influence,
- Make sure they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining,
- The elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour,
- The effective abolition of child labour,
- The elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Business should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges,
- Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility,
- Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Businesses should work against all forms of corruption, including extortion and bribery.